Community Connections, Inc was founded in Washington DC in 1984 by Helen Bergman, MSW and Maxine Harris, PhD. We started with a mission of promoting recovery with people who are living with mental illness. As Community Connections grew, these two visionaries sought to also support consumers cope with addictions, find housing, and recover from the impacts of trauma and violent victimization. Innovative then and paving the way with cutting edge clinical advancements now, Community Connections passionately continues its core mission “To provide behavioral health, residential services, and primary health care coordination for marginalized and disenfranchised women, men, youth, and children living in the District of Columbia.” At Community Connections, We do this work because We Believe.
Note: All Community Connections employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless Human Resources has approved a medical or religious exemption. All new employees will be required to present a COVID-19 vaccination card or have an exemption request approved by Human Resources prior to starting employment.
The Homeless Services Program at Community Connections is looking for a new Homeless Outreach Specialist! By joining this dynamic team, you will have the opportunity to serve vulnerable men and women in the Washington D.C. experiencing homelessness using a housing-first approach. This role is for someone looking to build trust-based and collaborative relationships in the community and eager to have a lasting impact on individuals experiencing homelessness. By employing trauma-informed and client-centered techniques, you will be able to help our clients overcome the barriers that are holding them back from successfully living their lives.
- Deliver outreach, in-reach, assessment, navigation, and follow-up housing stabilization services to persons experiencing homelessness,
- Performs SOAR (SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access and Recovery) related activities to include: outreach, assessment, and case management leading to the submission of a completed SSI/SSDI application to the Social Security Administration.
- Perform outreach at homeless camps, shelters, and other vital community locations
- Build and maintain professional relationships with local service organizations, hospitals, police, etc.
- Provide individuals with appropriate referrals to community programs and services.
- Provide follow up on all referrals to assess outcomes and additional services as required.
- Conduct initial screening of individuals for eligibility for Community Connections services.
- BA/BS Degree plus one year of relevant experience working with individuals with severe and persistent mental illness and facing homelessness or residing in housing programs
- Demonstrate a commitment to ending homelessness, evidence of effective teaming practices, and appreciation for systems levels issues that impact direct services.
- Ability to regularly work some non-traditional work hours
COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS OFFERS GREAT BENEFITS INCLUDING:
- Generous paid time off, including sick, vacation, and 9 paid holidays
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Medical and Dependent Flexible Spending Accounts
- Agency paid Long-term disability and life insurance
- Employee paid Voluntary life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- 403(b) Retirement plan
- Credit union and banking partners including M&T Bank and State Employees Credit Union of Maryland
- Educational assistance after one year of employment
- Professional and leadership development to include supervision hours for those on track for clinical licensure
To apply to this job, please email your resume with “Homeless Outreach Application” in the subject line to Frances Matovu at email@example.com
Community Connections is an equal employment opportunity employer.